Skip to main content

Perjantai 🇫🇮 Föstudagur 🇮🇸

After another cold night - it was +9°C in the morning - I was more cautious when I took Abby for her morning walk. I wore my winter socks and hiking pants and wasn't short of the fleece jackets either. But the walk was shorter than yesterday because Abby did her business as fast as possible.

Today was the first in a long time that I could buckle down to study. I reviewed Charlette's previous lesson and collected all the words that needed attention. It really was a soul-warming experience for me. I suspected how much I'd missed studying, but I was surprised at how much I enjoyed finding my way back to studying. It made my day.

When Ági's lesson was over, we jumped in the car and drove to the grocery store to buy the needed things. We got so peckish in the store that we had to stop at Burger King and buy junk food to fill our bellies with. Even though they say fast food is terrible for your health, we can't help but treat ourselves to it occasionally - meaning once in a blue moon.

The afternoon went by quickly. Apart from taking a 40-minute walk, we could only watch two episodes of Doctor House. We very much needed this little day-off kind of sort of thing today. But the dark clouds are gathering above my head. The DIY storm is approaching. There are three more important tasks I must complete this year. Two of them are about the inner part of the house: painting the office and the little hall. The latter is a tad complicated as I need to remove the mould from the walls first and paint them afterwards. The last one is the railing in the front garden. I must grind and paint the staves and install the handrail on the top of the fence. It doesn't want to cease.

The weather is interesting. The mornings are cold, but the afternoons are still warm enough to wear only sandals and shorts with a T-shirt. The weather forecast predicts a cold front for Sunday and Monday, but the weather will pick up and get better and better day by day, so next week will be warm. This kind of weather is quite odd around this time of the year in Hungary. Not that we mind it, no, it's just that the climate is changing that frightens us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keskiviikko 🇫🇮 Miðvikudagur 🇮🇸

My new bridge is in my mouth. It took the doc almost an hour to meticulously and precisely fit it in and cement it. I wasn't allowed to eat for three hours, and I still can't chew anything on the left side of my jaw. However, my dental features are ship-shape-and-shiny. Only one tooth is left: they need to replace the old filling. Once it's done, I'll have a Hollywood-type smile. Before the dental care, I went through the lesson plan I'd prepared the other day for today. When I returned home from the dentist, I took Abby for her afternoon walk and drove to Budapest to teach. Before arriving at where I taught, I popped into a store to buy some "kifli" for later and four "Túró Rudi" to appease my rumbling stomach.  After teaching, I hurried back home, grabbed two "kifli", some butter and plum jam, and ate like a king. It was already pitch dark when we returned from our evening walk with Abby. I hate the early dusks. However, summer tries

Goodbye 2023 - Hello 2024

2023 has been an interesting year for many reasons. There were ups and downs, good and bad times, laughter and tears, but most importantly, us being together. During the last few years, I've noticed that we can overcome any obstacles together, which is a fantastic and soothing thought. Come 2024, for better or worse, together we will solve everything. May the world be a better place in 2024.

GRAZ - day 1 - 🇦🇹

We are in Graz, as Ági’s linguist conference starts tomorrow. We woke up early in the morning. I had to de-ice the cars, which took an hour. Once I finished the job, Ági took Abby to the dog sitter, and I packed my things for the weekend. Abby didn’t want to stay at the dog-sitter - poor thing - but Ági’s callousness conquered her temper tantrum. Travelling to Austria is always a pleasure. The roads were clean, the traffic was not heavy, and taking the scenic route was a brilliant decision. We could have opted for the Balaton route, but the northern direction seemed a better choice. We stopped at an unknown little village, where the shopping mall was phenomenal. We grabbed a coffee and stretched our legs because sitting in a car for hours is not the best thing in the world. Anyway, we arrived at the hotel - which looks great - safe and sound. The room is small but clean, however, the area is a bit dodgy. It’s close to the main train station, which attracts many people, so it is a busy