Skip to main content

Maanantai 🇫🇮 Mánudagur 🇮🇸

The dream is over. The grim and sobering reality made us realise how quickly our Austrian revels made their way to our brains' photo album. And even though the memories are fresh, the upheaval we experience today makes them fade even faster. 
Yesterday Ági spent the whole day emptying the shelves in the kitchen so that the electricians and the plumbers could start the renovation work. She worked diligently like an assiduous hamster preparing for autumn and winter.
After waking up, taking the cars to the public parking lot, and buying some food for breakfast, the guys arrived early in the morning as agreed. They started working at 8 a.m. The plumbers finished at 11:40 a.m., and the electricians are still hammering and wiring, even though it's 3:45 p.m.
The plan is to revamp the kitchen, so we need to call the masons to varnish and tile the wall behind the counter and the stove, the plumbers to connect the appliances to the water system, and the electricians to install the necessary lamps and plugs, etc. (We have to find a LED lamp that lights the worktop.)
The past weeks' sleepless nights took their toll. I'm as angry as a hungry lion or a randy elephant bull, and all I want right now is a quiet place to sleep, possibly for weeks. (Ági is also on edge, so we shouldn't discuss anything now but during the coming days.) Anyway, the kitchen will be beautiful at least.
To top off our ordeal, the highest temperature was as high as the Kilimandjaro, peaking at +35°C. Due to the ongoing work, we couldn't switch on the AC units, so there was no difference between the outer and inner temperatures. Bloody nice. Sauna for free. Fortunately, the electricians left at 6 p.m., and we could switch on the AC units. What a relief that was! Despite experiencing the heat today, we hadn't had the faintest idea after switching on the AC how effing hot the outer temperature was when we took Abby for her evening walk. Norwegians would call it HELLHEIM!

I haven't written about Abby, which is outrageous. After spending six days with other unknown dogs, she deserves more attention and appreciation. She wasn't upset, agitated, or stressed; she weathered the storm. And the fact that she was over the moon when she spotted us made us realise how brilliant a dog she is. We are proud of this little rascal.

According to my watch, it's 19:30, and the temperature is still high, +28°C. The next few days will be equally hot, so the AC units must work non-stop.

Well, this is it for today, I'm afraid, I can't write any more lines, and my thoughts revolve around only one thing: the bed. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keskiviikko 🇫🇮 Miðvikudagur 🇮🇸

My new bridge is in my mouth. It took the doc almost an hour to meticulously and precisely fit it in and cement it. I wasn't allowed to eat for three hours, and I still can't chew anything on the left side of my jaw. However, my dental features are ship-shape-and-shiny. Only one tooth is left: they need to replace the old filling. Once it's done, I'll have a Hollywood-type smile. Before the dental care, I went through the lesson plan I'd prepared the other day for today. When I returned home from the dentist, I took Abby for her afternoon walk and drove to Budapest to teach. Before arriving at where I taught, I popped into a store to buy some "kifli" for later and four "Túró Rudi" to appease my rumbling stomach.  After teaching, I hurried back home, grabbed two "kifli", some butter and plum jam, and ate like a king. It was already pitch dark when we returned from our evening walk with Abby. I hate the early dusks. However, summer tries

Goodbye 2023 - Hello 2024

2023 has been an interesting year for many reasons. There were ups and downs, good and bad times, laughter and tears, but most importantly, us being together. During the last few years, I've noticed that we can overcome any obstacles together, which is a fantastic and soothing thought. Come 2024, for better or worse, together we will solve everything. May the world be a better place in 2024.

GRAZ - day 1 - 🇦🇹

We are in Graz, as Ági’s linguist conference starts tomorrow. We woke up early in the morning. I had to de-ice the cars, which took an hour. Once I finished the job, Ági took Abby to the dog sitter, and I packed my things for the weekend. Abby didn’t want to stay at the dog-sitter - poor thing - but Ági’s callousness conquered her temper tantrum. Travelling to Austria is always a pleasure. The roads were clean, the traffic was not heavy, and taking the scenic route was a brilliant decision. We could have opted for the Balaton route, but the northern direction seemed a better choice. We stopped at an unknown little village, where the shopping mall was phenomenal. We grabbed a coffee and stretched our legs because sitting in a car for hours is not the best thing in the world. Anyway, we arrived at the hotel - which looks great - safe and sound. The room is small but clean, however, the area is a bit dodgy. It’s close to the main train station, which attracts many people, so it is a busy